8HP70 video

Discussion in 'Charger Maintenance' started by RitzRT, Feb 2, 2019.

1. RitzRT

RitzRT Member

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it's an excellent video on how the 8HP70 8 speed transmission (and I'm assuming it's older brother the 8HP90) goes together and some discussion around the functions of the components. I had no idea it was this complex inside. No wonder they're so damned expensive.

Edit: In the last couple of minutes he explains how you check the fluid level for those that are interested in changing their fluid and pan (since the filter is integrated into the pan).

Best,

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Nate likes this.
  2. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

That’s a cool video. I never understood the inner workings of an auto trans and now I do even less lol

JohnnyDollar likes this.
  3. quietpeen

Doesn’t dodge say the transmission isnt servisable?

4. RitzRT

RitzRT Member

Unless you chew up a gear or wear out a bearing somewhere in there, all of the "magic bits" appear to be in the self contained valve body assembly. So if the transmission started misbehaving....unless I found chunks of metal inside, I'd be inclined to try replacing the valve body, flush out the cooler, replace the fluid/filter, and go on with life. That's me....the non-transmission expert...but engineer by training....IT guy by profession. :)

If you have one apart, and feel brave about opening up the valve body, here's a walk through.

Wow, and here he is doing the teardown:

Best,

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. quietpeen

Holy hell what would be the purpose of doing all of that?

Disclaimer I didn’t watch both videos but I got far enough in the first to see that it is fukken envolved

6. RitzRT

RitzRT Member

Ya never know. :)

7. quietpeen

I watched the full tear down video. Good to see that they are relatively easy to work on.

8. RitzRT

RitzRT Member

Yeah, it looks a little bit time consuming, but pretty straight forward. The special tool to protect those fragile aluminum gear cylinders when you pop the snap rings is only about $100. The oem clutch packs and some aftermarket "performance" versions also seem to be readily available. I'm pretty confident I could do a rebuild unless there is a catastrophic failure.

Given the number of these cars on the streets now, rebuilding/improving these units is probably going to be a nice little cottage industry as the platform ages.

Also, given how tight the tolerances appear to be, I'd be even more leery of trusting mystery lubricants in there from our friend in Ohio. I'd definitely stick with the ZF recommended fluid.

Best,

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Full Access Member

But, but, but.....

I read the only way to prevent the inevitable destruction of our camshafts/lifters was through designer oils?

10. quietpeen

:Nonono: lol