Catch Can

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by quietpeen, Aug 16, 2017.

1. 3 G Bee

3 G Bee Full Access Member

Your PCV is located in the canister mounted on the #6 runner of intake and is fed back into #3 runner which then mixes with the fresh air being drawn in. That is the reason why the 5.7 is said to have quicker low & mid range torque and RPM.

If you look at the 6.1 intake the Boss in the same location as your PCV I believe was where Chrysler intended to place the PCV for the 6.1 but for some reason changed and installed it on the bottom front of the intake. Maybe save some $$ less machining. eliminate a part ?? The longer runners on the 6.1 help top end toque HP but the 5.7 shorter runners win out. Maybe that is why the 5.7 PCV is routed back earlier into intake.

When I take my intake apart one of my objectives is to see whether I can relocate my PCV in that location and tap into the #3 runner just like the 5.7 because I believe it to be a better set up and hopefully create better midrange for me.

The faster you run your engine the less PCV Vacuum you have so by tapping back into the intake after the throttle body the better your fresh air intake will disperse the vapours,
    I also think that by allowing the PCV to vent back into intake in front of throttle body the AIT sensor on the intake tube heats incoming air and robs the engine of HP.

I think the 5.7 intake is better designed the only thing lacking is it could use slightly longer runners to increase top end HP.

2. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

well I'm glad that it goes in after the tb on the charger, but not as happy with the design in the ram

3. 3 G Bee

What year is your Ram
    It has the same 5.7 doesn't it,
    any room to change intake , to car intake

4. quietpeen

My Ram is a 2016, but the two hemi's definitely have differences.

Ram - 395 HP, 410 ft-lbs. torque

charger 370 HP, 395 ft-lbs. torque

5. 3 G Bee

I looked back in thread at Ram engine Pics and some modifications and massaging of parts would be needed but I think either the 5.7 or 6.4 car intake could work. without any hp loss. might even give you a few more. Would certainly look a whole lot better

6. quietpeen

that would be cool, but would not be something I would do till its not under warranty anymore

7. 3 G Bee

I agree with that, I took a gamble parking my car first 5 years and let the warranty lapse, but it seams to have paid off .... knock on wood !!!
    only 2 minor issues and the Bushes but that was more of an upgrade than actual defect.

8. quietpeen

Since my PCV taps back into after the throttle body I don't see any real need to install a catch can. On my truck though I'm still not decided. Didn't have one on my 2011 for 33,000 miles and never an issue.

9. 3 G Bee

Well the choice is yours to make, my $$$ will go to improvements I believe of benefit to longevity and increase appearance

10. SMOAK

SMOAK Full Access Member

Yes i do quite often. It catches alot of crap