Exhaust couplers/reducers - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by TwiztidPixel, Nov 3, 2018.

1. TwiztidPixel

TwiztidPixel Active Member

Ok, this might get confusing to read so I apologize in advance.

So I am planning on installing mini race bullets on my car. They are 3" inlet/outlet while the car has 2.25" pipe. So I ordered a pair of 2.25 OD to 3" OD as well as a pair of 2.25 OD to 3" ID reducers. The mini race bullets are 3" OD on one end and 3" ID on the other, which is why I went this route. However, two of the 2.25" ends fit into the 2.25" ends on the other pair. Which shouldn't happen since they're all OD, right? On top of that, all four of the 3" ends are exactly the same size, 3" OD while two of them should be ID. So they are the ones that should be able to slip together.

Am I missing something as far as how exhaust pipe is measured or does Summit have a mistake in their parts? IMG_0105.jpg

2. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

Something sounds weird there, but did the exhaust shop tell you that you have to get these? Most shops should have the ability to stretch pipe ends or have adapters to do the work.

So did the mid muffler delete get annoying or are you looking for a different tone?

3. 3 G Bee

3 G Bee Full Access Member

Yes this is confusing - Draw yourself a little picture of all the parts, starting at the front of the car you said the car tubing is 2.25 O.D. this tube should slip inside the first coupler which should be 2.25 I. D. to receive OEM tube. So all preceding parts fit inside following parts.

So outside diameter goes inside, inside diameter regardless of what size it is.

the confusing part is the bullets themselves which way does the exhaust flow from the smaller OD side or the Larger ID side. because those bullets are made for a full 3" exhaust system where one end slips into the rear tube. That means the Bullets 3 " outside diameter is the exhaust exit.

So your front coupler should be 2.25 I.D x 3' OD to slide into Bullet 3 " ID which exits 3 " OD which slides into coupler 3 " ID x 2.25 OD exit and connects back to 2.25 exhaust that should be stretched ( expanded to receive coupler. )

There is a company in Michigan that makes open mufflers that are perforated to give you that muscle car note. They will make them to fit any car exhaust. I will see if I can find a link to post.

4. TwiztidPixel

TwiztidPixel Active Member

I just want it louder. I'm putting the bullets where the mufflers used to be and deleting the resonators. No one told me I need them but I know there is no way they're stretching 2.25" pipe to 3" so I just wanted to be able to go to my muffler shop with everything in a box ready to go.

Yep you pretty much said what I was going after. My intention was to have 4 couplers, all of which have 2.25" ID. The only difference being one set should have been 3" ID and one set should have been 3" OD. The bullets have a 3" ID inlet and a 3" OD outlet. But as you can see they are all 3" OD and two of them are 2.25" OD. (Note the part numbers on the labels) This should not be the case.

I'm sure my muffler shop will make all of this work but it kind of defeats the point of the product if you have to manipulate it to make it work.

5. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

Ahh ok that makes sense.

You want it loud do a cat delete lol

6. 3 G Bee

3 G Bee Full Access Member

Why not just order these
    why not just order these then

Just viewed Summit web page. If you ordered their Part # 24215 Bullets with inlet / outlet 2.25 that is all you should need but if you ordered the 3 inch version they sent you wrong parts.

Since you only want it louder then go 24215