PCM/Coil wiring issue

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by putergod, Dec 26, 2019.

1. putergod

putergod New Member

FYI, I am going to post this to multiple HEMI forums since it's not a problem specific to the JGC, but later 3rd Gen Hemi altogether.

I have a 2013 JGC with a 5.7 HEMI. I have swapped the cam, lifters, pushrods, spings, oil pump, timing chain, belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, coils, plugs, intake manifold, CAI, and hood. It's also been tuned.

About a week ago I started get the following two codes:
    P2317 Ignition Coil F Secondary Circuit
    P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

I swapped coils between 6, 4 and 2, and between 5 and 3. I swapped plugs between 6, 4, and 2.
    Codes keep returning immediately and have not moved. Well, first one comes immediately, second after driving for a few minutes.

I replaced the crank and cam position sensors

Got more codes, one for primary circuit on crank position sensor, and random misfires.

Put OEM crank sensor back and and the previous two codes came back (only).

Little while later got a code for the cam position sensor. Put OEM cam sensor back in, and came back to just the two original codes.

Last night I did the following tests with a DMM:
    pulled PCM connectors and toned out between PCM and coil F/6 - continuity was there.
    Measured resistance between PCM and Coil F connector - 0.3 Ohms - wire is good
    Checked for short to ground to verify wire good - Infinite Resistance - wire is good
    Plugged PCM connector back in and checked resistance to ground - ~3 MOhms - Seems like a short to ground on the driver circuit.
    Checked resistance to ground on coil B for reference - ~11 MOhms - much higher, but still should be infinite.
    Checked resistance to ground on coil D for reference - ~11 MOhms - much higher, but still should be infinite.
    Checked resistance to ground on coil H for reference - ~11 MOhms - much higher, but still should be infinite.
    Checked resistance to ground on coil A for reference - ~11 MOhms - much higher, but still should be infinite.
    Checked resistance to ground on coil C for reference - ~11 MOhms - much higher, but still should be infinite.
    Checked resistance to ground on coil E for reference - ~11 MOhms - much higher, but still should be infinite.
    Checked resistance to ground on coil G for reference - ~11 MOhms - much higher, but still should be infinite.

Today I disconnected coil F and started the vehicle. Checked for a HZ signal, and there was getting between 120Hz to 300Hz. First minute it was in the KHz range. Checked for DC voltage and it was extremely low, like .003v. I do not know what these signals SHOULD read as though.

Seems like all the coil drivers could be failing.

Thoughts?

TIA,
    Mike

2. putergod

putergod New Member

No one?

3. putergod

putergod New Member

Today I put an LED test light on cylinder 6, pulled the fuel pump relay fuse, and cranked the car. I got a steady glow. Tried it on cylinder 2, and it appeared to steady glow as well, with a very faint, slight flicker.