Quality & Bling Please respond.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by 3 G Bee, Aug 21, 2017.

1. 3 G Bee

3 G Bee Full Access Member

Hello All, I was invited by Korney to check out this Forum so here I am. I own a 2007 SuperBee SRT8 6.1 Hemi. Retired 4 years now after working 40 plus years for Chrysler Canada. My Bee is my Baby and only I am allowed to work on it. Bees rules not mind.
    I am all about improving the quality, longevity, and performance of our cars with better products that will reduce unnecessary repairs and save us all $$$$. There is a quality issue that affects all Dodge Owners that needs to be addressed but no one talks about. Rust from condensation caused by heating and cooling of the engine.
    For those that do there own oil changes etc. you should have noticed that the top yellow plastic dipstick handle around the "O" ring has rust on it. That rust is also present inside the tranny dipstick tube as well as the Coolant transfer tubes that run from the water pump under the heads to the firewall and supply inside cabin heat during colder weather. Your plastic Coolant pressure tanks are discoloured not only from Glycol but RUST as well. These tubes are made from low quality carbon steel.
    I am currently trying to source a shop that will make me these tubes out of 304 stainless steel. They will be replicated from the OEM parts. In addition to these 4 tubes I want to fabricate upper and lower Rad Hose tubes for my Bee.
    SO the reason for this post is to see if there is any interest from owners that would like to improve their cars with better parts as well as add some bling to their engine bays. The larger the order the cheaper the parts will be.

Oil Dipstick tube -
    Transmission Dipstick tube -
    Coolant transfer tubes outlet and return -
    Upper Rad Tube -
    Lower Rad tube -

All Tubes will be made from 304 stainless steel, NEVER RUST, can be highly polished. These tubes will fit all 5.7 and 6.1 engines. and are probably the same parts on the 6.2 / 6.4 engines but needs to be confirmed.

Please reply to thread if you are interested in any of these tubes.

2. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

My car is a lease so right now unless I decide to keep it when the lease is up it's probably not something I would do. Sounds like a cool idea for people that show their engines at car shows though.

Of course for anybody, cost is most likely the first question.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Administrator Staff Member

Do you have pictures of all of these or are you still in the developmental stage?

4. 3 G Bee

Yes That is why I am bringing it here to all members, If the interest is high enough a Shop will be more apt to cut pricing. I will have these made for myself.

5. 0212353

0212353 Ivory Kitty Staff Member

It sounds promising, I'm all about showing my engine bay.....though I doubt I'll see much rusting issues (car never sees rain, etc)

I'm with the fellas above.......any pics? Idea on costs?

6. 3 G Bee

I have been gathering used 6.1 engine OEM parts for a while now from part out sources and junk yards I have all aluminum parts except heads and intake manifold. I have all the Tubes mentioned above for replication. I am currently waiting for a reply from Detroit Tubes. They have the knowledge and tooling required to make these parts.
    I was planning to have a set made and post pics of all parts OEM and new stainless tubes together side by each. for all to see. But so far no luck.
    I am contemplating making them myself but the tooling costs is rather expensive Tube bender, bead roller, dies for end forming tig welder for brackets. etc.
    There are a lot of shops looking for work but seam to want to manufacture large part runs.
    This is why I am seeing if any else would be interested.

7. 3 G Bee

My car was garaged 5 years before it saw the sun, started it every weekend to keep seals from drying out. Did first oil change at 1000 km car was 5 years old. and The oil dipstick tube and trans tube were rusty inside the tubes not the outside. Now the coolant transfer tubes have black paint all peeling off the outside and under the paint is rust. This is not from weather but rather condensation from engine heat expansion and contraction.
    My Bee is now going on 12 years old and only has 50,000 km not miles.

The dealer price of replacement oem tubes for 4 pieces is aprox. $ 280.00 plus tax. Stainless tubes are more expensive than Carbon steel but the cost making the parts is what will drive the final price. Just need to find a shop that would be willing to make them.

Let me ask you this would you pay dealer 280 for same poor quality parts or would you pay 350 for stainless parts. The rad hose tubes and this is a guess would probably cost 300 as well. heck replacement rubber hoses are over 100 The price some owners are paying for coloured hoses is probably equivalent to stainless tubing that will never deteriorate.

The way I look at things is do I want to spend 100 bucks on a part that will need replacing in another year or do I spend 200 and never have to change it again.

8. 0212353

I don't disagree with that at all!

9. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

It is very sound logic for someone planning on keeping a car for a long time.....i fall in the category of people that can't grasp that concept lol

10. 0212353

ditto..........I'm quite surprised that I have something here for 7+ years now.......though, her days are numbered.