She went for a ride.......

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by 0212353, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Eagle2016-392

Eagle2016-392 Full Access Member

I have been thinking about the performance spare. How do you like yours? Does it fit as advertised in the trunk? Have you tried mounting it yet to be sure it fits? Their site says the wheel has been redesigned so no adapter is required. I am concerned about one of their "how to" videos that says the size is slightly different if put on the rear and could result in differential damage if run on the highway. That was news to me since I thought all 4 wheels and tires were exactly the same size. Why would the spare size be an issue?

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Full Access Member

I have not actually mounted it, I not been home to play with it since we got it.
    I guess I trust they are not lying about it fitting.

I have some photos in this thread when I installed the kit in the trunk:
    https://www.chargerforum.net/threads/no-spare-tire.61/

Like most temporary spares, the wheel height is smaller and so, the tires will rotate at different speeds.
    This can cause problems with the differential.

This is one reason temp. spares usually say something like: Temporary use only - No farther than 50mi and no faster than 50mph.
    It is also a very narrow tire, so not going to be going very fast.

A full size spare will not fit in the trunk well. But I have read where people just put a full size in the trunk.
    The wife and I were not interested in doing anything like that.

I just feel better knowing it's there.
    As a man, I would feel bad sitting and waiting for roadside assistance. :)

Seems like if the wife and I are going to get a flat, it's usually on a Sunday afternoon,
    and honestly, calling for roadside assistance takes hours on a lonely Texas road.

If my wife is out driving by herself, she is not going to change the tire, she will call roadside assistance. :)

If you check your Ram Truck, it may have a temporary spare as well with the same warnings.

My 2012 1500 QuadCab came with a temp spare. It has 20" rims, But the spare is on a steel 17" rim.
    I have had to use it enough to finally say "screw it" and install a full size spare under there.

Found a matching rim on e-Bay (like for cheap) and put on a matching tire.
    Guy at the tire shop said he didn't think it would fit, but it fits fine with room to spare.

TLDR version: Check the thread above. :)

3. Eagle2016-392

Eagle2016-392 Full Access Member

Thanks for the great response. Very informative.

I did not realize that temp spares were smaller in height so the restrictions when used on the rear of the car make sense.

I would feel better having a temp spare in the Scat Pack as well. Do not like the thought of using the slime machine. I do carry a plug kit and supplemental compressor that runs directly off the battery. With it, I might be able to repair the flat under some circumstances but if the tire is too badly damaged, that won't work either. I ran into exactly that situation a couple of weeks ago with my Ram. Ran over a large spike that left a two inch gash in the tread. Not sealable, pluggable, or repairable. Had to use the temp spare until I could get to a tire shop. I think your idea of going with a full sized spare is a good one.

My wife's BMW has run flats which give me the peace of mind that she will not be stranded in a bad time or location with a flat.

Thanks again.

Dave

JohnnyDollar likes this.
  4. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

From what I have ever read on lsd rears if your spare is smaller you are much better off not using it if you get a flat in the rear. Meaning put the spare in the front and use a good tire from the front..... much more a pita but saves rear end damage.

Disclaimer...I’m not speaking from experience. Only retyping info I had seen posted on ram forum. That could be more of an issue on rams though because many people install larger tires so the size difference from the spare is even more drastic.

JohnnyDollar likes this.
  5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Full Access Member

My hope is, now that I have gone to the trouble of mounting a full-size spare, I will not have any more flats.

and I also carry a plug kit and pump as well, JIC. :)

6. LB3711

LB3711 Green Goblin Staff Member

Im 99% sure you are correct. Like 4wd vehicles if 1 wheel diameter is off the 4wd system is screwed. Been there with an older truck. It sounded real bad and wouldnt go out of 4wd