Upgrade HIDs?

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by SMOAK, Dec 12, 2018.

1. SMOAK

SMOAK Full Access Member

Is there a brighter bulb available for the headlights. Not sure whats in it now but just curious if there is something better.

2. Graygoose

Graygoose Full Access Member

You already have HIDs?

3. LB3711

LB3711 Green Goblin Staff Member

there really isnt much better than HIDs. Just a better optics for the projector.

4. SMOAK

SMOAK Full Access Member

Yes but isnt there a more powerful bulb you can use? Bigger ballast and higher wattage bulb maybe

5. LB3711

LB3711 Green Goblin Staff Member

yes 55watt but its mostly a over drivien 35 watt bulb. But if your car has OEM Hids you cant do that. Just an upgrade from halogen.

I have upgraded optics in my OEM housings. My car came with HIDs.

for upgraded optics the best out there is Morimoto projectors. My GF has retrofitted headlights with HID projectors and she out shines mostly everything out on the road. Thats a Retroshop setup.

6. SMOAK

SMOAK Full Access Member

So the bulb in the Bi-functional HID headlights cannot be upgraded to a more powerful bulb? But can upgrade the optics. Ok. Were do i go.

7. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

to upgrade the optics(the actual projector) you are talking opening up the lights and taking the oem projector out and putting in a better one. I'm trying to get the headlight guru in here to educate us

calling @0212353

SMOAK likes this.
  8. 0212353

0212353 Ivory Kitty Staff Member

Sorry, forum time has been crazy lately (as in non existent)

So..........here's the fun.

These cars came with 2 styles of lights.
    1 - halogen. Bleh.
    2 - HID - not "horrid", but can be better.

1 - if you want better output, you can put in a HID kit, or do a full projector swap with HIDs, and that would give you MUCH better output.

2 - This is a little trickier......you simply can't put a higher wattage ballast on an OEM system. You can change the bulb, but on these Chargers - they use a very good bulb from the factory. So....you are left with upgrading the optics (projector) in them. I did this on my '15 SRT392, which then @LB3711 got from us when I got the '16 I have now. This gave us a much better performing projector - with a clear lens. This is the best way to go!

SMOAK likes this.
  9. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

@SMOAK from what i have been told, the charger headlight assemblies are very expensive so that also leaves you with basically two options if you want to upgrade. Be brave and take them apart yourself and replace the projector, or take the headlights off the car and ship them to someone to do the work for you (^^^^^^ that guy with the white Hellcat "Retro Shop") is a good choice for that

SMOAK likes this.
  10. SMOAK

SMOAK Full Access Member

Ok. Thanks for all the info. Im always wanting to upgrade everything i can get my hands on.