Will 2009 3.5 replace my 2007 2.7?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Budster, Jan 3, 2019.

1. 3 G Bee

3 G Bee Full Access Member

Although I agree with everything said above, the simplest way for you to check for yourself would be to compare part # numbers of wiring components, wire harnesses, modules, relays, sensors etc. from one car to the other. if they are the same you will not need to change them, if they are different then you will need to change them. A simple running change for any model year such as a wire connector will also change the part it connects to.

Keep in mind that these cars are built by modular assemblies shipped into the plant as whole parts : e.g.. rear axle complete with differential brakes rotors etc. and is bolted to body with 4 bolts. So changing axle is quite simple. other modules are front cradle with struts, engine and trans, front rad support instrument panel with steering column and air bags and ignition skim module, the headliner with wiring attached this would require the removal of the windshield, if the radio, nav, is different this is also programmed into PCM. any and all pkg upgrades when built. every major component is sequenced in and built according to VON. and scheduled at Body in White where it is given a VIN and stamped.

This will work but is a lot of work, time, and effort. make sure that you also change the VIN plate once completed and keep both ownerships because if anyone questions the Vin # it will alert the police to a possible stolen car or car parts, The car body is stencils in several places with Vin & Von date stamped etc. Then there is the question of license plates and registration 4 vs 6 cylinders. and insurance purposes.

Lots to think about.

JohnnyDollar likes this.
  2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Full Access Member

Modern problems.......

What a nightmare.

I was just thinking the other day how much better this car is than my 1968 GTO I bought in 1977 for $500.00 cash.

As much as I like our Scat, I also wish I still had that car. :)

Simpler times.

3 G Bee likes this.
  3. 3 G Bee

68 GTO OMG I would love to own that today, simpler times indeed !!!

the reason I keep my 1997 sebring convertible is it pre-dates the PCM controls over the entire vehicle, it has a engine control module but it only controls spark fuel and timing, easy to switch to an older distributor type engine with EFI wiring.

Don't laugh but my first car was a well used meteor montcalm for $ 35.00 bought it off a Datsun dealer who took it in on a trade in 1969. I spent that year fixing everything and drove it for 2 years with the rear 1/4's flapping going down the highway. eventually the safety check police got me. Had some good times in that car though. worked part time was costing me more in gas than I earned.

Do you guys remember Government Insurance for 50 bucks a year allowed you to drive and covered comprehensive. but collision was out of pocket. Wish they would bring that back today.

Simpler times, better times, happier times.

JohnnyDollar likes this.
  4. JohnnyDollar

My first vehicle was my dads old '62 Ford pickup - flathead 6, three on the tree.
    I wish I still had that.

5. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

wow you guys are old. Just kidding :hidesbehindsofa:

6. JohnnyDollar

I know I am old.
    Feel it everyday.

7. 3 G Bee

That is the truth, the things I use to do every day now take me all day to do, LOL !!!

3 on the tree, " wow " you just have not lived until you have driven one, My dad owned a 69 Ford Econoline 289 3 speed manual, every time you shift, the linkage rod would rub on the box cage sounded like a violin bow rubbing against an alley cat.
    I fixed that by reshaping the linkage rods and installing brass bushings in the cage.

Not old just wiser, and yes the pains keep reminding you just how wise you have become.

8. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

I learned to drive on a 77 F100 with 3 on the tree - Well also an 88 Tempo 5 speed.

JohnnyDollar likes this.
  9. JohnnyDollar

My dad thought he was being smart.
    The day I got my license he told me not to ask to borrow my mothers car and told me I could use his old truck.
    He did not provide any instruction on how to drive a standard.

Me and a couple of my friends figured it out.... eventually.

10. 3 G Bee

Is that where your fascination or pick ups come from, and when did you switch to MOPAR