Powerstop Z23 Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by quietpeen, Mar 31, 2018.

1. LB3711

LB3711 Green Goblin Staff Member

lol yeah. ill just deal with cleaning. It keeps me on top of actually keeping the car clean unlike my ram went months without cleaning

2. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

That’s one positive to it lol

3. LB3711

yup lol

4. quietpeen

I still have to do the break in procedure for the pads. Supposed to not rain Thursday so Hopefully it gets done then. Problem is finding enough open road without stop signs or cars to get it done properly.

Break in the pads as follows:

5 moderate to aggressive stops from 40 mph down to 10 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool and do not come to a complete stop. If you're forced to stop, either shift into neutral or give room in front so you can allow the vehicle to roll slightly while waiting for the light. The rotors will be very hot and holding down the brake pedal will allow the pad to create an imprint on the rotor. This is where the judder can originate from.

Then do 5 moderate stops from 35 mph to 5 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool. You should expect to smell some resin as the brakes get hot.

After this is complete, drive around for as long as possible without excessively heating the brakes and without coming to a complete stop (Try for about 5 minutes at moderate speed). This is the cooling stage. It allows the heated resin in the brake pads to cool and cure.

After the brakes have cooled to standard operating temperature, you may use the brakes normally.

WPJR likes this.
  5. quietpeen

I did the break in procedure today but it must have been too cool out because I never smelled hot brake pads. In fact when I parked the car in the garage the wheels and calipers were cool to the touch

6. quietpeen

I have more than 50 miles on these pads and the wheels are still clean, in fact i can still see spots that I missed when I cleaned the wheels during pad install. I'm very happy with the results so far.

7. LB3711

nice

8. quietpeen

now that my wheels are ceramic coated i expect they will look better even longer, and clean up so much easier.

9. LB3711

nice

10. WPJR

WPJR Active Member

I just purchased the Powerstop Extreme Z26 package with brake pads and rotors. Anyone know what size is the two caliper bolts on the back of the 4 piston brembos? I've read somewhere that they are 18mm?? I will be doing this project in a few days once the package arrives..